Brother Leo (Isidore Conrad) Gilskey, FSC, (Midwest District) joined his creator on September 6, 2008 at the age of 91. A Brother of the Christian Schools for 73 years, he was born in Hilger, Montana, the son of Isidore and Marybelle (Kerrigan) Gilskey.
Bro. Leo graduated from La Salle High School in Glencoe, Missouri, in 1934 and entered the novitiate of the Christian Brothers on the same year. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from St. Mary’s College in Winona, Minnesota, in 1938. In 1950 he graduated from Loyola University Chicago with a Master of Arts degree and pursued post graduate studies at the University of Minnesota, St. Louis University and the Institut Catholique in Paris.
Bro. Leo’s professional career included high school teaching positions in several states in the Midwest. In Chicago he served at various times as principal at Old St. Patrick High School, St. Mel High School, and De La Salle Institute and was superintendent of Bishop Noll Institute in Hammond, Indiana. From 1972 to 1975 he was the Superintendent of Education for the Diocese of Saginaw, Michigan. He served at different times as the Academic Vice President at Lewis University in Romeoville, Illinois, and the Academic Dean at St. John Seminary in Plymouth, Michigan. He worked in the Development Office of the Christian Brothers from 1978 until his retirement in 1988. From 1968 to 1972 he was Vice-Chair of the Catholic School Board of the Archdiocese of Chicago and was Chairman of the Advisory Board of St. John’s Provincial Seminary from 1972 to 1975. He was also a member of the Board of Trustees of Lewis University from 1960 to 1977.
Four sisters survive him: Mrs. John Hahn of Westchester, Illinois, and Mrs. Rita McIntyre of Ottawa, Illinois; Mrs. Marybelle O’Leary of East Dennis, Massachusetts; and Mrs. Loretta Clark of Lowell, Indiana. A Memorial Mass will be celebrated on Saturday, November 8, 11:00 am at Sancta Alberta Chapel at Lewis University.