- This event has passed.
January 26, 2020
An event every year that begins at 12:00 am on day 26 of January, repeating indefinitely
John Baptist de La Salle was buried in the chapel of St. Suzanne on Holy Saturday, April 8, 1719. On July 6, 1734, his body was transferred to a chapel at Saint Yon. The tomb was vandalized during the French Revolution but the relics were not. In 1841, the superiors received approval to have the relics moved to the Generalate.
After the Brothers were expelled from France in 1904, the relics were taken from Rouen to Lembecq-lez-Hal in Belgium. In 1937 they were transported to Rome where they arrived on January 26, the anniversary of the promulgation in 1725 of the Bull of Approbation of the Institute. The relics are now in the church of Saint John Baptist de La Salle at the Generalate in Rome.