This two-year Regional formation program focuses on deepening participants’ understanding of Saint John Baptist de La Salle’s story and vision, Lasallian pedagogy, the Lasallian promotion of justice and Lasallian spirituality while utilizing contemporary texts to inform and influence current and future Lasallian practice.
Named for Brother John Johnston, FSC (1933-2007), this program is designed for Lasallians (Brothers and Partners) who exercise mission influence and/or show potential for such in the future. Participants engage in prayer, study, reflection and dialogue that will provide an opportunity for assisting in more deeply animating our shared mission on the local level and within the broader Lasallian family. Upon completion of the program graduates will:
- articulate the Lasallian mission for the 21st century in creative fidelity to the founding story,
- honor the priority of educational service of the poor with the proclamation of the Gospel as our mission and promote a life of faith, especially among the young (Circular 469, 3.12),
- explore, both personally and communally, their spiritual and vocational journey, within the context of the mission,
- possess a working knowledge of the history and organization of the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools,
- possess a working knowledge of contemporary Lasallian and relevant educational, social and Church documents to inform and influence current and future Lasallian practice,
- demonstrate an increased awareness of and responsibility for animating and sustaining the Lasallian mission at the local level, and
- associate intentionally for mission with the broader Lasallian family.
Want to learn more about Johnston? Contact Sarah Laitinen, director of education and formation, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-529-0047 x109.
“We come together for a shared purpose, to better understand the mission of Saint John Baptist de La Salle so that, together and by association, we can live the mission for our students. During our time together, I was reminded of the importance of providing time and a safe place for young people to be, to express themselves, to be heard, and to feel valued.”
— Lisa Moran, La Salle Catholic College Preparatory, Milwaukie, Oregon
Johnston Institute Highlights Importance of Evangelization (March 30, 2023)
Fall Johnston Gatherings Inspire Presenters (November 11, 2022)
Johnston Cohort IV Holds First Gatherings (August 15, 2022)
Final Cohort II Johnston Gatherings Take Place (April 25, 2019)
Johnston Institute Holds Regional Gathering (August 3, 2018)
Johnston Institute Holds Spring Sessions (April 6, 2018)
Second Johnston Cohort Kicks Off with Energy (August 18, 2017)
Final Johnston Gathering Leaves Participants Hopeful (April 1, 2016)
Johnston Summer Session Builds Relationships (August 05, 2015)
Johnston Institute Sessions Strengthen Meaning in Vocation (March 27, 2015)
Lasallians Meet for Brother John Johnston Institute Summer Session (July 25, 2014)
Inaugural Johnston Institute Renews Zeal in Participants (March 28, 2014)