Lasallians throughout the world are responding to COVID-19, which stands for coronavirus disease 2019. In the Lasallian Region of North America (RELAN), schools have been following local and national advice and most proactively closed their doors to promote the health and well-being of students, faculty and staff. A number have shifted to online learning. The Districts are supporting ministries in their efforts, and they are closely monitoring and caring for the health and needs of Brothers in their communities.
WORLDWIDE COVID-19 FUNDRAISER
A global effort is underway to help Lasallians in the most need during and after the COVID-19 pandemic. The Solidarity and Development Secretariat of the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools has launched a worldwide appeal for funds to support individuals in undeveloped areas of the world. The campaign also encourages solidarity by using #LaSalleCOVID19 on social media to promote the fundraising campaign and to share Lasallians’ responses to the pandemic. Also, the Secretariat is inviting Lasallians to share pictures and artwork supporting the idea that “everything will be okay.” Read more and donate >
RESPONDING TO CHANGING NEEDS
As COVID-19 spread, ministries quickly adapted how they serve those entrusted to their care. Classrooms went online. In-person activities were canceled. Educators had to quickly develop innovative ways to connect with and support their students and each other, while many also answered the call to serve their communities. Check out just a few examples of innovative ways in which educators are supporting their students, schools and alumni are serving the community, and more. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter and share your stories. Use #ShoutOutLasallianEducators to celebrate the service of Lasallian educators. To see more, search #LaSalleCOVID19 on social media.
CHANGES TO PROGRAMS
The Office for Lasallian Education’s summer formation programs are canceled or postponed. Read the announcement.
FROM THE SUPERIOR GENERAL
- Founder’s Day Message (May 15)
- Prayer from Superior General (March 18)
- Message from Superior General (March 17)
GENERAL COUNCILOR’S REFLECTIONS
- Holy and Heroic Work (May 15)
- Reflection for the Feast of Saint John Baptist de La Salle (April 7)
- Abundance of Care (March 20)
We are keeping in touch with our twinned ministries in the Lwanga District of Africa. All ministries are closed. This document offers updates from individual ministries (April 6). Mount La Salle College in Naka, Nigeria, offered this prayer for its twinned schools. Two video calls on April 29 and 30 offered opportunities to bring together twinning coordinators from the Region, Districts and RELAN schools and Lwanga District Brothers who lead twinned ministries. Read more >
- District of San Francisco New Orleans
- District of Eastern North America
- Midwest District
- District of Francophone Canada: Ministries are closed, but staff members are reaching out to young people. Villa des Jeunes is using Facebook to connect, including by posting weekly challenges, such as encouraging young people to share pictures of something beautiful and promote local businesses. Centre Lasallien Saint-Michel is working with reduced staff to call families it serves by phone. The status of summer camps at the various locations is undetermined. Regular staff at Centre Notre-Dame de La Rouge were hired to take care of the elderly Brothers at the Laval infirmary.
- Christian Brothers Services has a page of information related to COVID-19 and is waiving fees through its insurance plans for related to testing, diagnosis and treatment for COVID-19 at all in-network facilities and treatment for out-of-network emergencies April 1 – May 31, 2020, for those presenting with COVID-19 symptoms.
- Saint Mary’s Press is offering resources for families with students in elementary or middle and high school.
- As part of its At Home Creativity Campaign, Springtide Research Institute invited young people to send essays, poetry, songs or other creative submissions to show how they are finding connection and meaning during social distancing. Selections will be included in Springtide’s Voices of Young People blog.
- Pastoral visit of the Superior General to the District of San Francisco New Orleans and the Midwest District (March 2-29) – postponed
- District gatherings of the Brother John Johnston Institute of Contemporary Lasallian Practice (March 12-14, March 19-21) – canceled
- Meeting of Superior General, General Councilors and the Regional Conference of Christian Brothers (April 1-3) – postponed
- Lasallian Volunteers 30th Anniversary Mass and Gala (April 25) – postponed
- International Mission Assembly (May 4-15) – rescheduled to September 21 – October 2
- Lasallian University Leadership Program sponsored by the International Association of Lasallian Universities (IALU) (May 31 – June 13)– rescheduled to January 10-23, 2021
- Lasallian Higher Education Colloquy on Racial Justice sponsored by the Lasallian Association of Colleges and Universities (LACU) (June 2-4) – postponed
- Buttimer Institute of Lasallian Studies (June 28 – July 11) – canceled
- Regional gathering of the Brother John Johnston Institute of Contemporary Lasallian Practice (July 13-17) – postponed
- Lasallian Student Leadership and Global Understanding sponsored by IALU (July 5-18) – canceled
- Lasallian Social Justice Institute (July 19-15) – canceled, will be rescheduled for summer 2021
- Regional Formation Institute (RFI) (July 26-31) – canceled
- International Symposium on Lasallian Research (October 23-25) – rescheduled to October 1-3, 2021